Thursday, February 4, 2010

Lunch Hour.

My favorite part of the work day is my lunch hour. The decision of where we go is a long drawn out debate and seems to be one of the most difficult decisions we face each day. However, it is my favorite part of the day, mostly because I really enjoy the company of who I work with. The gossip at lunch is much different than what I am use to. Going to lunch with my friends or sorority sisters, I would have ample things to talk about. However, these days I find myself absorbing more of the chatter about politics and campiagn business. What I use to chat about at lunch now seems unimportant and juvenille. It still is my favorite part of the day because even though we talk about more important things than shopping, it is a very entertaining bunch that I am quickly becoming quite fond of. When I work five days a week, this could become a money issue..

Other than lunch, I really do enjoy most of my work day. I still am getting use to waking up early and getting dressed. The drive to the city is becoming more enjoyable as I have started to view it as down time, with no work, just traffic to sit in and music to listen to.

What I have really started to get a grasp on, as far as working on a campaign, is how important the relations you have with your donors are. Fundraising is one of the most important aspects of a campaign and how you go about getting people to give you their money is an art. Something great I have been able to work on is the social network aspect of the campaign. Facebook and Twitter are increasingly popular in the business world and applying it to our campaign is very useful. We have social media consultants who help show us how to effectively use these tools to reach the right audiences. When planning an event, it is much more efficient to send out a Facebook invite than make over 100 phone calls. The idea of social networking is a big evolution for public relations fields. It is nice to get a feel for it on this campaign. Any position I pursue in PR could possibly involve a lot of social networking. Another important aspect my internship is teaching me is professionalism. You don't even think about how your day to day conversations with people, both in person and on the phone affect you, but having this position has made me very aware of it.

** Worked Tuesday and Thursday this week 9-6 pm. This week I worked more on donor forms for the campaign and also e-mails out to potential donors. More hands on PR work this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment