Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Week of March 1-5: Event life.

This week I spent a lot of time working on actual events that would take place. First off, I am helping kick off a fundraising event that will take place in Oklahoma City at the end of March. I am targeting specific groups and determining the best way to get high attendance numbers. Since it is a fundraising event, it is a difficult venture to invite people to something and tactfully talk about contributions. This is something, however, that I am getting good at. I have been utilizing Facebook more than ever. I made a group and an invite for the event that will hopefully reach more people. I also have spent a lot of time contacting heads of organizations which is tedious work. All in all, being in PR campaigns currently is helping me through my internship. I am trying to apply what I am learning in both settings to the other. It was perfect planning on my part to be involved in both at the same time.
I also attended my first event this week as an intern. It was held at a very large house in OKC and was hosted by a doctor and his wife. It was also a campain fundraising event. The catering was great and luckily I got to eat some after the event was wrapping up. My main objective was to get people to sign in for the event and get contact information for our database for future reference. What I was not expecting was the amount that some people could afford to write on their checks. Maybe it is since I am in college and have no money, but to see the kind of money people drop on campaigns still shocks me today. For the kind of campaign I am working at it takes about $3 million, before the primary. Anyways, the event was very exciting and also gave me another opportunity to dress up and act professional. Learning how to speak to older business people is much different than what I am use to and I am glad I am getting that experience now.

Tuesday: 9-6
Thursday: 9-9pm

No comments:

Post a Comment