Thursday, March 11, 2010

Week of March 8-12: More Event planning..

The one thing I have noticed about my internship is that the more days I spend there, the more I know what to do when I get to the office without needing direction. I have my own projects I am working on and it feels like more of a real job. I really like the new office I work in and the people that share the office with me. We have a really good time! I am still working on the event I started planning last week. I have been working out what public's to target for invites and spent a lot of time on social network sites trying to get people to confirm to the event. One thing I noticed is that a lot of people initially say they will go to an event, but it is the follow up that is important. I am trying to get contact information, phone or e-mail, for those who confirm on facebook in order to be more personal about their invite.
My PR writing class has really come in handy this week as I was asked to write a quick press release. I had to brush up real fast on the components of it and didn't feel as prepared as I would like. I haven't written a press release in a good year. However, it worked out well. I had to write a press release over the endorsement of the candidate by a NFL football player. It was really exciting to be able to be involved in that kind of media. I remember now why I hated writing press releases though, the restraints and wording of information makes it more difficult that you expect.
I am also drafting up emails to recruit interns for the summer. As the campaign progresses, we need more and more help and I am trying to find volunteers, etc.
The last thing I worked on this week is a biography for my candidate from different aspects. We are trying to get her involvement in different organizations, etc. posted and I was helping on that. A lot of writing this week and sometimes that is very taxing.

T:9-6
Thursday 9-6

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to what you said, Lauren. In events planning, you should never assume that something is done unless you see it done. Did you pursue your events planning career? I hope you did! It’s a lot of fun and, you’ll learn a lot of organizing skills from it. You just need the right tools that will help you track things easily.

    ReplyDelete